Moving Out: Move Out Mid Month - Gave Proper Notice

vendredi 29 août 2014

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Massachusetts.



I am currently a tenant at will. I have never signed a lease or any type of document with my landlord.



I have found a new apartment and the latest available date that I can have my lease start is October 15th. I provided my current landlord with my written notice to vacate on August 28th, and had listed October 18th as my official move out date (which gives me a few days to move into my new apartment and clean my current apartment before handing back the keys). This means I provided 51 days notice. I assumed I would be responsible for September and 18 days of October. He then informed me that I would be responsible for the full month of October because I cannot simply move out and stop being rent responsible mid month. Is this true?



Again, I did not sign anything at any time with this landlord, and from what I see online the law in MA says nothing about not being able to move out mid month if proper notice was provided. However I am not a lawyer so I'm not sure what the real deal is. Help!



Here is what I found online:



"A Tenant-at-Will is one who occupies a rented premises without a lease but pays rent periodically (typically monthly). The agreement for the Tenancy-at-Will may be either written or verbal. Either the landlord or tenant may terminate this arrangement by giving written notice 30 days or one full rental period in advance, whichever is longer. No reason is required to terminate. If rent is paid the first of each month, notice should be given prior to the first day of the month. However, either the landlord or the tenant may be able to give notice as late as the first day of the month itself. For extra protection send the notice both by certified mail, return receipt-requested, and by regular mail."





Moving Out: Move Out Mid Month - Gave Proper Notice

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire