Changing a Child's Name: Changing a Name Back to the Birth Name

mardi 31 mars 2015

My question involves name change laws in the State of: TN



http://ift.tt/1BI7WFu



Go to that link to find out background info on my case.



I gave my son a hyphenated name in the hospital. My maiden name and his dad's name. When my son was a year old (January 2014), we went to court because my ex had filed for a name change. The judge awarded his name change and took out solely my maiden name.



I appealed. I have been thinking for the past year and 4 months that my appeal was pending. I recently fired my attorney. I went for a consultation with a new attorney and discovered that the appeal was dismissed last May.



My ex currently has a motion of contempt against me for not teaching the child his new name. I thought the case was under appeal, and was confident the mistake would be corrected. Plus, I never intend to give up on this, because it's a civil rights issue. The court said I did not have the consent of the father to name the child--but if he would have named him, I would not have consented. We disagreed on the name. Neither of us would have consented to an agreed-upon name because we would not have agreed. So that basis makes no sense.



I am thinking I am not going to have enough money to get a new attorney. I am all about having an attorney, but I am not sure how to communicate to y'all that it is not possible for me to pay an attorney anymore.



So I am going to go file a pro-se motion for a name change. I need to stay as objective as possible and try not to get my emotions into it. If any of you have any ideas on the best way to word this, or what to focus on vs. what not to focus on, that will help.



- - - Updated - - -



I should add that I have taught the child the name he was born with and that is the only name he knows. I am aware this will look bad against me. But honestly, there would have been no winning for me here. I didn't do what my husband asked me to do in the hospital, so he punished me. That's what this boils down to.



Also, I had the decency to give the child both names. He acts like I just gave him mine. I almost wish I had. But I won't go that far.





Changing a Child's Name: Changing a Name Back to the Birth Name

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire