Rent and Utilities: Roommate Wants Electric Utilities Even Though I Have Not Used Electric for Months

vendredi 27 mars 2015

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Michigan

Hello all,



I transferred schools in the summer of 2014 and I sub-leased a suite style apartment from someone I did not know. I had 3 roommates I did not know and they were mostly quiet and kept to themselves. The only bill we received was electricity and it is in the name of the roommate who's room is right next to mine. He notified me about the bill and I paid him for probably the first couple of months (it was only around $30 for me at the time). I started to live with my girlfriend and was there very rarely and the next time he notified me of the bill, he told me he noticed that I wasn't there very much and asked if I wanted a break on the bill to which I turned down because I figured I was still there about half the time. However, the next month I had only been there about a day out of the month and I asked him if the offer still stood to which he said yes. He said since a mini fridge and microwave are in my room that I just have to pay because those are plugged in. After that I unplugged the fridge, microwave, and anything else that belonged to me and I slid half of what I owed him under the door ($27) with a note that said I get paid the next week and for him to let me know when he was there so I can pay the other half. He never answered me and I never ended up giving him the other half because I didn't really feel comfortable not handing it to him personally because i didn't know him. After doing this, I never stepped foot in the apartment except to grab things and I never used any electricity.



In January he texted me and told me that I still owed him the whole amount for the previous bill ($54) and told me that the new bill was $378 and I responded by telling him that I've had everything unplugged for months and that I paid him half already. I told him that I can bring the other half to him whenever he was there and he never answered back.



It's been two months since then and he texted me yesterday saying I owe him 1/4 of all the electric bills. I told him I was under the assumption that we had come to an agreement about me not paying since I wasn't there and he said according to the lease it does not matter and that I owe him $430 and if I do not pay him he will take me to small claims court. I had no reason to believe I still owed him money and he failed to notify me about the bills until now. The bill is under his name and it has been paid in full each month. After reading my lease I fear it may obligate me to pay it even though the bills are under his name and I need advice.



If he would have been better at communicating with me then this whole thing could have been avoided but he failed to tell me anything. The bills also seem extremely expensive for only 3 people living there and I find it suspicious.



I would also gladly pay the base amount for the monthly electric bill as that would seem fair.



I will attach a picture of the section of the lease that worries me and also the section that states the consequences of failure to comply.











Now it says resident must pay whether they are there or not and he says that is why I have to pay him but the bill was already paid to the electric company so I don't know if he is correct.





Rent and Utilities: Roommate Wants Electric Utilities Even Though I Have Not Used Electric for Months

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire