Ownership Rights: Damages to Used Vehicle During Inspection

jeudi 26 mars 2015

My question involves personal property located in the State of: Oregon



I found a used 1972 van for sale by owner on Craig's list for $500. I called the number and spoke to the owner who informed me that the van had not been driven for 4 years due to high gas prices. He stated in was in great mechanical condition but would require a battery to get it started. I asked if i could bring my licensed mechanic to his home to view the vehicle and attempt to get it started to determine if it was road worthy and if I wanted to purchase it. He agreed and we met him at his home where he joined us by the van and gave permission for us to attempt to get it running. My mechanic put in the battery and had to pump the gas several times, finally it sputtered and tried to turn over, immediately followed by a loud backfire. The backfire caught the air-filter on fire (which was immediately put out). The fire damaged a few electrical cords in the harness. We did not get to hear the engine or test drive the van and deemed it not suitable for purchase. I recently got served papers by the owner of the van taking me to small claims court and suing me for $1300 worth of damages to his van. Am I liable for the damage?





Ownership Rights: Damages to Used Vehicle During Inspection

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire