Moving Out: Former Roommate Won't Return My Property, Claims Rent Not Actually Owed

lundi 24 novembre 2014

My question involves civil rights in the State of: West Virginia



On October 16th, a coworker and I moved into a trailer together. We split half of the rent, utilities and other bills. We are both payed every Wednesday, so the following Wednesday, October 22nd, I payed her my half of our weekly rent, 80 dollars. We both put 80 dollars back each week for rent and utilities. I never signed a lease or any sort of contract. It was planned that my boyfriend would move in with us when he got a job. (We had this plan before we moved in.) Without permission, she got onto my computer and onto my Facebook and read personal messages from him (to me, she was logged in on my account) that offended her. She told me that she would not allow him in the house at all, so he could not move in. She also said at this point that I could leave if I wanted to, since the plan of my boyfriend moving in was now not an option. Several days later (November 10th), we got in a verbal argument and I told her that I would be leaving. During this argument she threatened to send someone with a gun to where I was, threatening me, my boyfriend and his family. Due to the spontaneous nature of my moving out, I wasn't able to get most of my things out. Because I still had most of my things there, that Wednesday, November 12th, I payed her my 80 dollars because my things were still there, but I was still not able to get my things out, (though since I was still paying my half of the rent I had every right to have my things there.) Last Wednesday, November 19th I told her that I would not be paying her rent for another week and asked her for a key to get into the trailer to get my things out (she ended up with mine for an unrelated reason well before I moved out) but she did not let me get my things out, though that Wednesday I would still have had the right to be there. (right?) That Thursday, October 20th, she told me that I still owed her rent because my things were there, that she would begin charging me storage for as long as I left them there and that I was not allowed to get my things from the trailer until I payed her $80. November 22nd I asked her if I could get my things out and she told me again that until I payed her $80 dollars I was not allowed to get my things. Included in my things are my pets, 4 hermit crabs, which she is not caring for.



Obviously she is wrong, and I plan to go to the small claims court in that county tomorrow (Monday) but I am interested in what kind of reimbursement for this I am entitled to (it has been incredibly stressful living without my clothes, work shoes, and texts books as I am a full time college student), if any, and how to go about collecting it through the small claims court. Of course getting access to my things is the paramount concern, though. I do not have money for a lawyer and I have no knowledge of how the small claims court works. I plan to go into the courthouse and bumble around until I find someone who can help me. Any help on that would be great, and if there is an online form I can fill out or just look at to get an idea, it'd be great. But like I said I have no idea about any of this stuff.



Thank you for your time, I appreciate any and all advice on this situation.





Moving Out: Former Roommate Won't Return My Property, Claims Rent Not Actually Owed

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire