Adoption of Children: What Happens if You Can't Afford Trial in Termination of Parental Rights

mercredi 15 avril 2015

My question involves adoption law for the State of: CA

I have filed for termination of parent rights based on the grounds of abandonment to adopt my step child. The parent is aware and does not consent, but I have no idea if the parent will show up to the hearing or if they will just ignore it. If the parent contests, and it goes to trial, what happens if I can't afford to support the step child and the bill to prove the parental abandonment? I am the only one providing financial support to the step child.



And yes, I know, I should have thought about this as a possibility when first turning in the papers for this. And I did, and put money aside just in case this did turn into a court room brawl. However, I was recently informed the step child needs surgery, and I am afraid that I will not be able to afford both (since I have no idea how much money either will cost in the end).



My attorney is very confident that this case "speaks for itself", and doesn't expect it to go to trial even if the parent doesn't consent. But you never know what the judge will do, so does anyone have advice on what my options are at this point?



Other facts (sorry if they aren't relevant): My husband doesn't have income as he is a student and stay at home dad. He filed for child support when mom had confirmed employment, but she quit her job before the hearing and no child support was ordered, other than for mom to find medical insurance for the child. That never happened.





Adoption of Children: What Happens if You Can't Afford Trial in Termination of Parental Rights

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire