Federal Taxes: Decedent's Unpaid Taxes

jeudi 16 avril 2015

My mother died in late January 2014. I figured she probably hadn't filed her taxes for that season yet, and I looked up whether or not we needed to file them for her that year. I found a questionnaire online and filled it out. I believe it said, based on my inputs, that we didn't. I can't remember where exactly I saw it, but I believe it was on the IRS's website.



We opened her estate in July 2014, I think, obtained an EIN for it, and posted notice to her creditors in the newspaper that they had eight months to make any claims against her estate or forever hold their peace.



I calculated her taxes due for her 2013 earnings last night and found she owes about $500 or so.



Sorry if this is a dumb question, but... If creditors can't come after her estate for amounts she owes any more, can the IRS come after it for this tax money? Are we even obligated to file it? And, if we don't, what could they do?



Links to sources would be greatly appreciated.





Federal Taxes: Decedent's Unpaid Taxes

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire