Extradition: Extradition from Another State (Wyoming to Colorado) - My Recent Experience

mercredi 15 avril 2015

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Colorado and Wyoming



I had three warrants for my arrest. They were FTA Contempt (Child Support - which is a Civil Matter) in Larimer County Colorado (Fort Collins); Failure to Report to Probation (after 3 years of perfect attendance and completion of all classes, fines, fees, etc. in Larimer County Colorado - which was on a Misdemeanor - so it is a continuation of the Misdemeanor matter); and F5 (Felony) Theft in Lakewood, Colorado which is in Jefferson County.



I was in Wyoming when I decided to turn myself in to face these warrants. I chose not to travel to Colorado for fear that I could be picked up while traveling to turn myself in and then I wouldn't be able to convince anybody in the Courts that I was on my way to turn myself in. "Yeah right, buddy, we believe you."



The County in which I turned myself in was Laramie County (Cheyenne, WY). I went to the Laramie County Detention Center and announced to the people at the front desk that I was there to turn myself in for three (3) warrants from Colorado. They checked their computer and advised me that the Civil Contempt FTA and the Misdemeanor Probation Violation were not Extraditable. I had read on these forums that typically things that aren't Felonies are not Extradited.



To be clear, Cheyenne is in Wyoming in Laramie County and is only approximately 40 miles away from Fort Collins, Colorado which is in Larimer County. Also note that the two Counties are adjacent... although separated by the State Line.



The F5 Theft was, of course, Extraditable. I knew this going in. I knew I would be taken to Jefferson County Detention Center in Colorado and then I would also be shipped up to Fort Collins if I wasn't able to post bond. By the way... My initial bonds were $7500 cash/surety for the F5; $500 cash for the Misdemeanor Probation Violation; and $300 cash for the Contempt (Child Support).



It took six (6) days for Wyoming Deputies to ship me to Weld County Detention Center (Greeley) where I stayed over night. The next morning, Weld County Deputies took me and some other detainees on a trip to Jefferson County with a quick drop off in Boulder County. I had a bond hearing the next day in Jefferson County and because I turned myself in, the Judge lowered my bond to $3000 Cash/Surety. That wasn't necessary, but was nice. It was done in video court and I saw him raise bonds for others who hadn't turned themselves in.



I then had to wait through the weekend for my friend to have time to go to the jail and meet with the bondsman to post my three bonds. Had he not also posted the Larimer bonds, I would have been held until Larimer picked me up... probably a few more days to another week before that would have happened.



So... I spent a total of 12 days in jail. I got my bond reduced in Jefferson County due to turning myself in. The other bonds were already posted, so there was no need to ask that those bonds be reduced, but I bet that it is possible that they could have been reduced if requested.



Now I have to go through the various processess... for the F5, I have an upcoming Disposition Hearing at which time they might offer the first plea bargain or might choose not to prosecute... (positive thinking). I just went to my Contempt Advisement and they set the Court Date four months from now. So I have four months with my attorney to negotiate a settlement and to attempt to get into the good graces of Child Support Enforcement and Larimer County. Soon, I have my Advisement for my Misdemeanor Probation Violation and I'm assuming the Court date will be set for anywhere from 2-4 months from now.



All in all not to too bad. The point of this post was to help share an actual real, recent experience with regards to extradition in adjacent counties across state lines in close proximity as well as to share the fact that in the whole scheme of things it really didn't take very long to get back out of jail and not have to look over my shoulder.



I would recommend to anybody who is facing a warrant to just turn yourself in and get it over with. It's not worth it to put it off. Imagine if you have a warrant and get a girlfriend or married or have a child and maybe get a great new job... that can all go away pretty quickly if you get picked up... and then you're gonna have to start all over. Hope this helps somebody make some good decisions.



Best wishes





Extradition: Extradition from Another State (Wyoming to Colorado) - My Recent Experience

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire