Collection Lawsuits: Options for Resolving Charge Off Proceedings from Private Student Loan with Citibank

mardi 14 avril 2015

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Florida (possibly California)



Just to clarify why I put (possibly California) is because that is the state where I originally took out my private student loans with Citibank, but I live now in Florida.



Basically I had 3 private loans with Citibank, 1 of which was transferred to Discover, leaving 2 loans remaining with them. I initially took out those loans during my time studying at a university in California, which I eventually dropped out of to change majors. After dropping out I spent about a year unemployed before resuming my studies. I eventually graduated from my second school this past May 2014, and apparently they put me into IMMEDIATE repayment as they claim that the standard 6 months grace period was already consumed way back when I dropped out of my first school. Unlike Discover, however, they NEVER attempted to contact me via email, which was my preferred contact method, given the fact that I was studying at an American accredited University overseas, so I had no way for them to contact me here in the United States. My email was the way to go however they NEVER sent me one email regarding repayment. Discover on the other hand did, and because of that I was able to apply for the appropriate forbearance to keep my accounts current. I had a US phone number and US mailing address registered only because they required such an address on their online accounts. There is no option for putting foreign addresses on online accounts. So unbeknownst to me I was put into collections after just 90 days! past due and although I have contacted them asking them to remove the negative information so I can resume payments, they simply state that they already charged off the account and my only option is to send in a letter. I doubt that will have any effect.



I would like to know what options I may have to get this information off my credit report. I don't want this thing to be on my credit report for 7 years for Christ's sake. It is so ridiculous too because of the fact that the payment was around $20 and they charged off my whole account over $20 dollars. My thing is they never CONTACTED me via email, which was my preferred contact method to let me know that my account was in repayment. I already tried filing a dispute with the Equifax and they just say that they ask the bank if the information is correct, which is ridiculous. I thought they were some kind of arbitrator but they are essentially just asking the bank's opinion as if the bank doesn't have a conflict of interest in getting my negative information removed or not. Any help would be appreciated.





Collection Lawsuits: Options for Resolving Charge Off Proceedings from Private Student Loan with Citibank

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire