Deprivation of Civil Rights: Sheriff Ordered Dog Die/ No Due Process/Never Bit Anyone. Killed a Stray Cat

jeudi 16 avril 2015

My question involves civil rights in the State of: South Dakota

My local sheriff came over to my house early the next morning after my dog had broken his leash and killed a stray cat in the next door neighbor's driveway.

He told me that my dog was vicious and had to die this very day. He told me he would come into my house and get him if I refused his order.

There is a body camera recording of this exchange.

My dog never bit anybody. Ever. The neighbor told the sheriff in his report that my dog had twice before bit him, but he failed to make a report. The neighbor is not telling the truth.

My dog is dead, as per the sheriff's orders done that very day. My wife and baby live here, and the threat of violence was too much to bear - and asking for due process would likely have resulted in bad things.

My state of South Dakota has a section 40-34-14 which defines a vicious dog as one that has bitten a human. No mention of stray cats.

In any case, my dog was worth somewhere between $2000 or double that for, healthy puppies. He was extremely intelligent, and knew not to bite humans...but he would scare a person if they didn't have permission to be here.

Now to add insult to injury, the sheriff told me I had to pay the vet bill to kill Buddy or he would sue me.

it seems to me, no dog is safe if a mere allegation of biting is sufficient to have a dog killed the next day without so much as a single hearing before a judge or at least some sort of process.

Am I wrong here? How to get restitution from a county government?





Deprivation of Civil Rights: Sheriff Ordered Dog Die/ No Due Process/Never Bit Anyone. Killed a Stray Cat

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire