Behavior Issues: Teenager Caught Molesting Sibling

dimanche 28 septembre 2014

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Nevada



I am the parent of a 14 year old son. His father has visitation on weekends.



Yesterday morning my son was with his father. I received a call from his father saying there was an "issue" an I needed to pick him up. When I was told when I arrived I could have never imagined; my son was caught molesting his 6 year old half-sister.



We are still not clear what happened exactly. His half-brother heard him take the girl into the room and lock the door with a comment like "do you want a lollipop?" The brother went to tell the mom, who got the dad, who broke into the room. I don't know what he saw, we haven't had an opportunity to discuss yet. Obviously we want to know from the girl what happened and how long it's been going on for and I wanted this info before I talk to my son more thorougly. My son was crying uncontrollably when I arrived. He only said "I was doing something to my sister I shouldn't have." He said it was the first time but obviously I can't take his word for it.



My son needs help and I'm going to get it for him. I just want to know what to expect. If I take him to therapy, the therapist is obviously required to report the incident to CPS. Will he face charges? Will he be taken to a jail or a home? Will he have to go to a different school? Will all his teachers and friends know what he's done? Will he have to go on a sex offender list the rest of his life? How much do currently unknown details (like what happened or how long it's been occurring for) play into these consequences?



As I've read up on sibling molestation, I've found that most kids do it out of curiosity. Perpetrators are likely to have learning disorders (my son has ADHD and is dyslexic), have a low self-esteem and come from stressful backgrounds (his dad is very verbally tough on him, an issue I've actually been trying to work thru in the courts). They are also likely to live in homes where there are younger siblings and little separation between them (he has 6 siblings at his dad's house and they sleep 2-3 per room from what I hear). 92% of these kids do NOT repeat offend as adults. I feel strongly that we can address this issue and get him the help he needs.



I feel torn - like getting him help is going to open all the doors of negative consequences for him. But he HAS to get help. There's simply no choice. I just want to know what to expect. Can anyone here advise me in this regard as to what will happen as this process plays out?





Behavior Issues: Teenager Caught Molesting Sibling

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire