Transferring Title: Just Bought a Motorcycle from Not the Registered Owner

mercredi 24 septembre 2014

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: CA



I just bought a motorcycle from John. To be honest, when the time came to exchange money for the title, I had forgotten the name he used to introduce himself. The name on the title is Bob.



The title is signed by Bob for sale on 8/26/2014. It does not have the buyer's name or any information about the sale filled in. When I got the title, I assumed that John (who I thought was Bob) signed it and handed it to me with those fields to be filled out by me.



How I noticed the discrepancy was the bill of sale. I brought a blank bill of sale with me to fill out at the exchange. When I got home with the bike, I went through those two documents (title and BoS) and noticed the name difference.



What I think happened is that John bought the bike from Bob on 8/26/2014 but never transferred the title to his name. He then flipped the bike to me. I don't think it's a stolen bike because the title is legit and it is signed. Also, if John was really being fishy, he would have used Bob's name throughout. He even wrote down his proper address (where I picked the bike up from) and his DL # on the bill of sale.



My question is, how is this going to affect me transferring the title to my name? You have to tell the DMV within 10 days of change of ownership and John obviously did not do that. Also, John sold the bike to me when technically Bob still owns the bike. Also, every information on the title (VIN, engine number, license plate) all match what's on the bike. I'm going to the DMV in 2 days to try to transfer the name but I would like to know what to expect going in.





Transferring Title: Just Bought a Motorcycle from Not the Registered Owner

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire