Roommates: Sued by Ex-Roommates After Moving Out Early

vendredi 26 septembre 2014

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California



This is my first post, I apologize in advance if this is the wrong topic thread, but Long story short, my roommates and I signed a lease that binds us all together as one unit/person/apt, the environment was toxic, the couple fought(loud screams and arguments, someone getting slammed on the ground, neighbors complained) all the time and it got really violent to the point i did not want to come home or come out of my room fearing for my safety. So, I went to the leasing office to see what my options are, so I called a sit down in the apt and we talked it out. We were all there at the dinner table and I layed out the 2 options, 1.) to break the lease, it would be a 1500 dollar fee 2.) vacant apts but keep paying rent until landlord finds new tenants. We all came to an agreement to break the lease , and I would pay the $1500 fee because things aren't going to work out. Then , the day that we agreed upon to meet in the leasing office, I waited for 1-1.5 hrs , but they did not show up and did not honor the agreement. I have records of texts asking if they are coming to the leasing office to sign the break lease , they texted back yes. I got tired of waiting , and then went to the apt to knock on their door, but the roommate said ," do not touch my door " and got really aggressive and said lets take this outside. I left the apt, to let things cool down. The roommates finally went to the office, while I was not there, and they texted me that " they don't trust me , that the are afraid of the check being bad". This was nonsensical, and they are just being bullies. I left the check at the leasing office, stamped and dated, ready to be processed. I could not handle the situation anymore, wrote the office the reasons that I will be leaving, and that my sanity, and my life is far more important than any credit rating or any amount of money. 7 months later I get served at my job, and now the roomies are suing for leaving and that they had to take out a loan to pay my part.



So my question here is , is the verbal agreement of breaking the lease valid in small claims court ? what are my chances ? should I counter sue ? anybody gone through this before ? Please help thank you so much.



sorry for the terrible organization of this thread, I'm just trying to put everything together. I'm so frustrated.





Roommates: Sued by Ex-Roommates After Moving Out Early

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire