Collection Lawsuits: Attorney Claims More Money is Owed in Judgement After It is Paid in Full - Texas

mardi 30 décembre 2014

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Texas



In 2009, I was served in person a lawsuit for a debt and agreed out of court to pay the total in full. The agreement involved a Good Faith payment of 20% which would be followed by monthly installment payments for two years. A few months before I fulfilled my agreement, they started telling me I owed them around $1,500 more than originally agreed. Every time I would remind them that I had mutiple copies of the original paperwork sent to me, them, and the judge. I also had the letter I sent to the judge explaining the agreement and signed documents from their office to the agreed upon amount. Every time this happened, they would apologize and say the gentleman who did my paperwork originally did it wrong and left out some money. They honored the agreement until the very end. With my final payment, I continuously requested a confirmation of the debt being paid in full and kept getting a "Oh, sorry. It's been busy up here. I'll get it out to you in the next week." I let it go and I wish I hadn't.



Fast forward to a week ago, I received a letter from a different law office claiming I have an unpaid amount on my judgement that has been accruing interest and they would persue an Abstract of Judgement on if I ignore their request. They are stating that the judegement orginially placed on me is more than what I had agreed upon. I'm not sure what steps to take in this matter. The letter was titled "Settlement Offer" which I remember getting all of the time. I don't mind paying the amount but I don't feel I should be charged an inflated amount for a debt owed that is claimed as unpaid judgement.



TL;DR: Debt collector has hired an attorney to collect extra funds from me that they are claiming are unpaid from a judgement five years ago that was paid in full three years ago. The amount was NOT included in the original settlement. What are my options for halting an Abstract of Judgement? I'm not avoiding the debt, just avoiding a legal circus. Does this prevent me from settleing the debt for less?



I want to avoid another judgement but I don't want this to go on my record as unpaid judgement when it was paid in full. Should I contact the judge? Hire a lawyer? Or are they just useing a scare tactic to find me?



Please help!





Collection Lawsuits: Attorney Claims More Money is Owed in Judgement After It is Paid in Full - Texas

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire