Failure to Yield: False Acussassion

lundi 22 décembre 2014

My question involves a traffic accident in the state of Florida



Hello. I relly need your help. (I apologize if you find some grammar errors since English is not my 1st language)

Last night, my mother was heading home.She was two blocks away from our residence, when a police car hit her car.

The problem is that there was a STOP sign that the police officer decided to ignored. He also had both the lights and the sirens off. A person that lives close by, saw the accident and also saw that the police didn't have the lights and sirens on.



When I arrived to the scene, my mother had moved her car because it was in the middle of the street.There were three police cars, a Fire rescue truck, etc. There was a Hispanic police officer who was translating my mother everything they wanted to ask her. But the officer left afterwards. When the detective arrived, he took pictures, and then asked my mother in an extremely nasty way: "IF YOU SAW THE POLICE CAR WITH THE LIGHTS AND SIRENS ON, WHY DIDN'T YOU STOP ?" My mother and the passenger she was driving with, were shocked by the question. They answered what you already know (lights off sirens off). The detective went back to his car and we waited almost 30 minutes. Then I told him that we had a witness, and he said, that he had two, in a offensive way. There were no witnesses, but we saw one of the police officers speaking with someone from afar. What were they talking about? What he was asking or telling that person? Nobody knows.



When he approached us again, he gave my mother a ticket, well it wasn't a ticket, it was more like a brief report of the collision. (According to them, the police car suffered damages that might cost 5000 dollars! ) I argued with him that my mother was not guilty. He said she was, because she ignored the emergency car, etc. He also said that he had called the dispatcher and the officer involved was on his way to "X"street and eventually he had everything on.



Now my mother, who has never been involved in any kind of legal issue is now very anxious not knowing what to do.

What the detective doesn't understand is that even if the police was on duty it doesn't mean that he had the lights, etc on at that moment, you understand? Becuse I have seen some cops speeding with everything off. Another thing: There is a pattern that I know Police officers do when they are on emergency: If they see you about to cross the street, they will stop for seconds to give you chance to stop so you can yield the way (sorry I have never used yield on sentence)

Please help us.





Failure to Yield: False Acussassion

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire