Repair and Maintenance: Slow Repairs of Plumbing Leak in Wall, Risk of Mold

dimanche 28 décembre 2014

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California

I have been in this building about two years. As soon as I moved in I made the owner aware that the plumbing from the bathroom above my garage was leaking into the garage. His immediate response was to deny it, even though at the time there were two large brown spots on the ceiling. Since then I have reported the leaks repeatedly, sending photos of the water, he alternately claims no evidence of leak, or has IMO, an incompetent (cheap) worker do "repairs". It's not a huge deal to me because it is the garage. (He claims it is the sink, not the toilet) With recent rains, the water has come down through the light fixture onto the roof of my car. After looking at it, he is no longer responding to my inquiries about repairing the leak. Could he be waiting for wind damage so he can get the his insurance to buy him a new roof?



Now I have discovered what appears to be a serious leak in my bathroom. The wall has dissolved, and it appears to have been going on for some time. I have notified him but he has not responded.



What am I looking at dealing with here? Should they be pulling out the bathtub and ripping up the wall to fix this? It looks like the flooring may be effected. I smell mildew now that the hole has opened up, and as luck would have it I am recovering from what I was told was either bronchitis or pertussis (not tests, just chest xray), now I am wondering what I have been breathing. Should I be worried about this? I'm concerned he will drag his heels and do his best to avoid making any repairs. I'd like to have some idea if this might be a risk to my health if he drags his heels getting repairs made for months and months and months like he typically does.



So I have two questions:

1. How extensive are the repairs likely to be in my bathroom, if done right?

2. Is mold really a concern? I don't want to nag him, but then I don't want to be made sick.





Repair and Maintenance: Slow Repairs of Plumbing Leak in Wall, Risk of Mold

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire