Settling a Debt: Getting Out of Federal Default Loans but Having Issues with Perkins Due to Judgment

lundi 22 décembre 2014

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: MA



This is all very confusing to me, but I'll do my best.



My http://ift.tt/Wf2s7d site shows that I am defaulted on 13 federal loans, 2 of which are called "Federal Perkins"



I called the # on there, they said they're only showing 11 and directed me towards the agency that handles them (all 11 are Direct Stafford). The agency was amazingly helpful and super nice and I wish I had done it sooner but...



They were mega confused and spent hours trying to figure out and still could not what to do with my 2 Perkins loans.



They total for 4400, are from 2002, and have been settled in court against me - total amount I owe is 6500. I spoke to the company that holds the collection - they do not offer any sort of getting out of default plan like the above site describes. It's a basic collection agency - pay the full amount, period. Until then, they hold my transcript and until then (as far as my 2nd agency understood, I was not fully clear from default - only from default on their end). In other words, until I pay off the 6500 Perkins in full, I cannot be eligible for federal grants and cannot receive my transcripts (unless I file bankruptcy, which I'd rather not do).



The Stafford people who helped me reduced my payment plan to 5/month for 9 months. Explained everything to me etc. I should be super happy but I'm not - I need the Perkins cleared the same way from default but nobody is clear with me about them.



Are they still federal, if so, why cannot I clear them through default or how can I? The collection lady really did not want to work with me - like even if I make 9 months payments of 100-200 she said, they'll just look at my income at that point and adjust my payments and that's the only change - I'll never see the transcript or be eligible (latter part still hazy).



School said I was wasting their time with my questions and directed me to the above lady each time.



I was suggested to call the DoE again and ask for supervisor which I will do in the morning, then the lady again, and then the school - but I've been on the phone for like 12 hours so far and really made no headway.



And yet, the site covers judgments - so what exactly does this mean?



"Note: Payments that have already been collected from you—for example, through the Administrative Wage Garnishment (AWG) process or through legal action taken against you to collect your defaulted loan—do not count toward your rehabilitation payments. (Through AWG, payments will be deducted from your wages until your defaulted loan is removed from default status.) "



I'm confused, how do I remove a defaulted loan from default status if I cannot include Perkins as part of the default rehabilitation? Please help :wallbang:



edit: Most importantly - if the Stafford people understood the situation correctly (as in until ALL federal loans are out of default, including Perkins), I cannot defer. This is pretty huge..





Settling a Debt: Getting Out of Federal Default Loans but Having Issues with Perkins Due to Judgment

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire