Breaking a Lease: Property Management Agency Not Cooperating with Lease Break Request

vendredi 27 février 2015

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: North Carolina



First, I am not trying to abandon the lease. I recently signed a 1-year extension of the lease I was in, and a home my wife and I really like came on the market. We bid and won the home. All of this took place BEFORE the new lease we signed was in effect (date-wise, anyway). I know that is a non-issue, but at the time, I sent a letter stating my intent to vacate. The Management agency responded with some fees, some justified, some not. Most of the fees were for advertising the property and managing it while it is empty.



Well, we live in a military town, the house is new, spacious, has a pool, and the rent is extremely reasonable. I put some ads out advertising it for rent as the management agency told me that I would need to find new tenants in order to avoid having to pay rent for the entire lease unless we find new tenants. We have had several showings and there are many families interested in the house. I contacted the management agency and they are NOT cooperating with any requests for an updated application (since they are the management agency), questions on rent or lease agreement changes, etc. Additionally, my wife and I are vacating the house this weekend. we will keep the utilities on, and have already paid rent for the month of March. It is our intention to show the house and let the management agency process applications until they settle on a new tenant. But, today, as my wife is delivering the rent check, the management agency tells us that the owners are thinking of selling and may not want new tenants. My question is are they allowed to do that? I am in a lease, they have not told me anything about an intent to sell, I have people that would qualify lined up to take over the lease TOMORROW, and have already taken care of the rent for a month I won't even be living there! I am working with these people as best I can, but feel like they aren't taking me seriously.



Does Isbey vs. Crews come into account here? Are they required to accept a new tenant because I am leaving, whether they accept a new tenant or not. What legal recourse do they have if I present people willing to move in but the management company continues to believe that I will continue to pay rent? Help!!!





Breaking a Lease: Property Management Agency Not Cooperating with Lease Break Request

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire