Traffic Lights, Signs and Controls: How to Frame TBD for Stop Sign Violation CVC 22450(A)

mercredi 25 février 2015

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California



I requested informal discovery and received the front and back side of my citation with the officer's notes.



This is what is in included in the notes:



- I had a good attitude.

- I was in the center divider.

- The officer observed me from 100 ft away while he was moving towards my direction on his motorcycle.

- "RT at 10mph" I'm assuming this means I was moving at 10mph

(I definitely was not moving at 10mph. The officer wasn't using any device to measure my speed. As I mention below, I stopped long enough to see that it was safe for me to cross the street.)

- there is a word I can't decipher that begins with "s" and the abbreviation "m/c" next to it



This is my first ticket, so I'm unsure what's the best approach to frame my argument. I tried looking for some examples online, but I guess since there are so many different variations of stop sign violations, I couldn't really find one that pertained to my situation. If anyone has some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it!



The officer had a pretty good vantage point, so I can't really argue he didn't see me well enough. I tried looking up MUTCD guidelines, but I don't think any of that was violated. I'm thinking I can argue that I did stop and saw that he was far enough away from me, so it was safe for me to cross. But, it seems like I don't have the upper hand since an officer's testimony is enough for me to lose the trial.



Some background information regarding my citation:



I was at a stop sign intersection right in front of my workplace. The stop sign intersection also happens to be the center divider of a busy street. Passing the stop sign would lead me directly into the driveway of where I worked. That morning, as I made a left turn into this center divider, I saw that there weren't any oncoming cars. As I came to a quick stop at the stop sign, I saw a motorcyclist in the first lane closest to me. In addition to being in the closest lane to me, he was also a safe distance away, so I felt it was safe to go ahead and cross the three lanes into the driveway. Unfortunately, I later learned that motorcyclist was a police officer.



As this was my first ticket, I was very flustered when he pulled me over. To be honest, I was quite intimidated and didn't know what to say. He asked why I didn't stop, and although I responded by saying that I did. He continued to question me. In the end, under the pressure, I said something along the lines of, "I guess I did a rolling stop, didn't I." He ultimately issued me a ticket for failing to stop although I do believe I did make a stop at the limit line albeit brief.





Traffic Lights, Signs and Controls: How to Frame TBD for Stop Sign Violation CVC 22450(A)

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire