Social Security Issues: How Much Trouble Am I in for Misstating SSI Resources

mercredi 25 février 2015

I am a rep payee for a family member who is disabled. I recently had to apply for SSI benefits when Bob (not real name) went from "room and board" to "board and care" status. I thought Bob was on our mother's savings account which was around $2,000 and so it was over the resource limit when you factor in the balance of his checking account. He was actually on her checking account (originally opened with my mother and me as joint account holders). I am in the process of removing his name from her account. Also, he had received SSI benefits previously for over a year. I knew then that his name was on her account but intended to have her remove it later and did not state that. I didn't know that all the money in a joint account would be considered all his. My mother at this time was having difficulty walking or doing anything and I was trying to take care of her as well as my brother who came once a week for shopping for his needs. I was very stressed out. I tried to have his name removed before with a durable power of attorney but the bank said that I could not. By the time I applied this second time I decided I should tell the social security office he was on her account but had forgotten which account. I have never done anything like this before and could kick myself for not taking care of this matter sooner. How far back would they check if I told them about the checking account. Can I just pay the difference for his board and care and not deal with the consequences or do I have tell social security what I did? How much trouble would I be in? I live in California. I did use her credit card to pay for dental work for him per her request because medicaid doesn't pay much.





Social Security Issues: How Much Trouble Am I in for Misstating SSI Resources

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire