Disputing Debts: Student Loan Debt and Withdrawl from School

samedi 25 octobre 2014

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Oklahoma



Disputing Debts







Student Loan debt and withdrawl from school







My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Oklahoma



Back in the early 80's I was in my late 20's. I went to a local Business School, and got Federal financial aid/student loan. After only attending for weeks, i withdrew from school. I attended about 6-7 weeks. I went down to the school and signed papers to withdraw. I thought that was the end of it. It was my understanding that since I didn't stay for a certain percentage of the school year, I would not have to repay anything.



Well, about 6 months after I withdrew, the school was closed down by the State of Oklahoma, for some illegal goings on. Since that time, they have been hounding me for over 30 years to repay this. I have tried talking to them over the years, and there is no talking to or reasoning with these people. So, finally, one lady told me to get a report from the school about my attendance and send it back to her.



I contacted the Oklahoma Boards of Private Vocational Schools (OBPVS), which she told me should have these records. I requested financial records, and attendance records. I got a letter back from OBPVS, stating that, yes Indeed the school was forcibly closed by the state, but unfortunately, NO RECORDS, have been retained anywhere for this school, there are no records in existence.



So, without any records, how can I prove my attendance, or for that matter how can they prove it? From my understanding there was some funny business with the student loans and checks they were getting for their students. But I couldn't find out anything beyond that. As it stands right now my loan amount was like only $2,000, but with interest and all its over $10,000, after all these years. I am currently on Social Security Disability, and have tried several times, unsuccessfully to get a waiver or what ever based on disability. I had to go to court with Social Security to get my disability approved, because it was not just any one thing, it was a matter of sever things taken in together that makes me disabled.



So, the Student loan place tells me, that even though I am receiving disability under Federal guidelines, it's not good enough for them, and each individual thing wrong with me, would not give me the disability exemption from repayment. Now they are sending me letters saying they are able to garnish my Soc Sec Disability checks, since the last raise put my $12 over the $700 limit. I am barely making it as it is. is there anything I can do here? I do not feel I owe this debt since I withdrew from that school, and I tried all that I can to get any records, but there are none. is there a way I can make the cough up the documents proving I attended the school full time and to the end, because even if those documents were available, they couldn't do so, because like I said I withdrew, so there would be no documents? Shouldn't they have all those documents anyway, and shouldn't I be able to get them from them?



Any help would be appreciated.





Disputing Debts: Student Loan Debt and Withdrawl from School

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire