End of Watch

dimanche 26 octobre 2014

In recent weeks and months, it seems to have become 'en vogue' to assail law enforcement as militaristic, heavy-handed, thuggish, and even downright evil. We have seen rallies against questionable actions by law enforcement officials as well as protests against what appear to be objectively legitimate law enforcement actions. But, no matter the spin and the outcry from those who seek some political or personal gain from stirring the pot of discord, there are still those who pin on the badge and go forth to protect and to serve each day ... too often, to serve the people for the last time.



Such was the case Friday October 24th when Luis Enrique Monroy-Bracamonte (aka Marcelo Marquez) - a twice-deported felon - gunned down two Sacramento County Sheriff's Deputies checking on a suspicious vehicle killing Deputy Danny Oliver. The subsequent manhunt ultimately resulted in the suspect critically wounding a citizen who refused to give up his vehicle to the suspect and his girlfriend, and ultimately slaying Placer County Sheriff's Detective Michael Davis.



Evil has returned to the north state as it has in too many places this year alone. We grieve with our brothers and sisters in Sacramento and Placer County as we have lost our own brothers behind the badge. But, we must always remember that no matter the political winds or the slogans, chants and vitriol of those who protest against law & order, and decency, there will always be those who choose to quietly and dutifully pin on their badge and go forth to serve and protect; they fulfill their oath ethically and with the quiet dignity that the public expects of them.



So, even as we all grieve, we will continue to take to the streets and perform our duty. Not for ourselves, not for the politicians who join the protests at election time, and not for any pats on the back or kudos, but for those who have gone before and given their all in service to the communities that each of us has given our oath to serve, to defend, and to protect to the best of our abilities - so help us, God.



May God bless the families of the fallen, and may He grant serenity to our brothers and sisters in the law enforcement community.



----------

I never dreamed it would be me

My name for all eternity

Recorded here at this hallowed place

Alas, my name, no more my face



"In the line of duty" I hear them say

My family now the price will pay

My folded flag stained with their tears

We only had those few short years



The badge no longer on my chest

I sleep now in eternal rest

My sword I pass to those behind

And pray they keep this thought in mind



I never dreamed it would be me

And with heavy heart and bended knee

I ask for all here from the past

Dear God, let my name be the last



-- The Monument, by Sgt. George Hahn, LAPD (retired)





End of Watch

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire