Embezzlement: Stealing Merchandise from Work

lundi 27 octobre 2014

My question involves criminal law for the state of: New Jersey. So about 4 days ago I was called into Loss Prevention in the JCPenney I worked at for shoplifting and they told me that they knew it was going on for a while and that I'd have to pay back everything I took and go to court for it.

I'm 18 years old and this is my first offense ever and I really wanted to know if this is going to go on my record. The amount of what I shoplifted was quite a lot, but under $1000 and I don't know if that's going to be a felony or not. So if it is a felony, is there a chance that I can not get convicted for it or could it possibly go down to a misdemeanor? I really don't want this on my record since I was planning on going to nursing school and that'll ruin any chances of getting my license.

Additionally, they didn't call the police or even say anything about me receiving a letter in the mail about it so I don't know what's going to happen next since it's been 4 days since and I would've expected to get a letter by now. They also made me write a statement about what happened since they've got me on camera and I had no choice but to sign and write it since I was terrified and I wanted to be cooperative.

I also have the majority of the items that I did steal and I'm completely willing to return it since it was just a huge mistake but I don't know if they'll let me. Is there any chance that they might?

If I do get a court summons and not a civil demand letter should I get a criminal defense lawyer or a public defender or anything at all?

If I do plead guilty will it show up on my record as a conviction? The Loss Prevention officer also said that it could be put down as just disorderly behavior, is that true?

And if I do get a civil demand letter should I pay it or not? If I do pay it will they not press charges?

The main thing I'm worried about is if I have to pay a large amount back or if I'm going to be convicted since I don't have a lot of money and I want to keep my record clean, and is there any chance that I can avoid going to court altogether since no police were involved?

I could really use the help since I'm completely terrified over the situation.





Embezzlement: Stealing Merchandise from Work

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire