Rent and Utilities: Shared Utilities

mardi 27 janvier 2015

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California



Long time I haven't been here, and last time was on the traffic court side.



My in-laws leased our house in June of 2014, and my wife stayed on as they left to another house after we got married in November. 1000 sq ft, 3 bedroom, 2 bath house. Just my wife and I. It is the front unit of the property, with a smaller 2 bed, 1 bath unit in the back.



All is fine and dandy, until last month. The landlord let us know through their realtor guy that the water bill was too high and that if it was like that again, we'd have to pay. Bill was $300, and it was during the period we were gone on our honeymoon. We thought, impossible. But ok, we'll watch our usage. Turned out to be a huge leaking sprinkler in the back unit.



This month, our gas bill comes out to $250 or so. That is ridiculous. We hardly run the heater or anything. Look at the bill and I realize our master meter has two units on it. Dig around and find out that the electricity, water, one meter. It all becomes clear.



http://ift.tt/1Cb3KDQ



This is on our lease. My in-laws and we were not informed of shared utilities. The gas and electricity is in our name. The in-laws are friends with the family in back, and they stated that they do not pay for any utilities. The in-laws didn't know it was coming off of their meter, nor did we.



What can we do?



Side note: I installed new smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors since there were none working in the home. I will ask the landlord for reimbursement since that is their responsibility as well, no?





Rent and Utilities: Shared Utilities

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire