Traffic Court Issues: Daughter Driving My Car with Expired Registration / How to Handle

jeudi 29 janvier 2015

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Washington



My daughter was pulled over and cited for driving my vehicle with an expired registration per RCW46.16A.030.5O (expired registration >2 months).



First off, yes, she was indeed driving the car with expired tabs. She called me and I went on-line and registered the car before she even returned home. This car is her car to drive (at college), although it is registered in my name. I just let the registration lapse inadvertently. I was surprised to see the NOI list this as a "traffic" infraction, but it is what it is.



Since it is "traffic", and will go on her "record" (she is 20, and I'd like to help keep her driving record clean for insurance reasons), I'd like to hear if anyone can give advice how to handle this NOI. I'm inclined to contest this NOI and take it to court. I'd go with her and explain the lapse was thru no fault of hers, provide the renewed registration to the court.



Is there any chance of getting this traffic infraction changed as a non-traffic charge in King County District Court (ie cell phone or similar) if I contest the NOI? Is there any chance of it being dismissed? The ticket was $216, so it isn't the money really (although the renewal was <$90) the issue, the "traffic" record is on my daughters record. I feel responsible to help resolve this.



Before anyone says it, yes, she should have checked the tabs during the >2 months expired. As the car was mine, does this help in court that the fault was with me (the owner)



Any help appreciated.



I have not had her respond to the NOI yet, so she has not committed to contesting/admitting guilt yet.





Traffic Court Issues: Daughter Driving My Car with Expired Registration / How to Handle

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire